CAPTAIN BEYOND (ST)
Captain Beyond. Formed in Los Angeles, California in 1972. Its members were singer Rod Evans, guitarist Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt, bassist Lee Dorman, and drummer Bobby Caldwell. Evans was the original lead singer for Deep Purple and probably best known for his vocals on their 1968 debut chart-breaker "Hush"; Rheinhardt and Dorman had played in Iron Butterfly. Caldwell had come to prominence playing with Johnny Winter. He was replaced by drummer Martin Rodriguez on the group's second album, after which Evans left the band. Captain Beyond re-formed in 1976, with singer Willy Daffern, and Caldwell back on the drums.
Captain Beyond played hard rock influenced by progressive rock. Although the band achieved little commercial success, the group nevertheless earned a cult following. Reinhardt and Caldwell reformed Captain Beyond in 1998. Since then they have been performing at shows and have released a four track EP. There is of yet no information whether they are going to record a new album.
* Rod Evans: Acoustic guitar, vocals.
* Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt: Guitars.
* Lee Dorman: Bass, piano, Hammond organ, vocals.
* Bobby Caldwell: Drums, percussion, Hammond organ, bells, vibraphone, vocals.
* Paul Hornsby: Hammond organ.
* Guille Garcia: Percussion, congas, bongo.
* Martin Rodriguez: Drums, percussion.
* Reese Wynans: Electric piano.
Posted by wino at Thursday, June 07, 2007